Kilkenny County Library Service continues to address areas of service provision, removing barriers to service uptake and creating welcoming and accessible environments supported by appropriate services and formats.
In compliance with the Disability Act 2005 and Kilkenny County Council's Access programme, all 7 service points have now been audited re accessibility.
Buildings and Spaces:
- Kilkenny County Library Service aims to ensure that people with disabilities can approach, enter, navigate and use public library spaces as easily as other people can.
- All buildings have undergone review and redesign to improve accessibility for users.
- All 7 service points have been fitted with induction hearing loops for those who are hard of hearing.
- Signage has been developed both externally and internally to guide users to our services.
As part of the "Making Access Happen" project, library staff underwent disability awareness training to inform and stimulate a range of practical initiatives.
- A staff handbook - with guidelines for dealing with people with disabilities- was developed by library staff and issued to all council staff.
- Training programmes are ongoing to allow staff a greater understanding of accessibility issues and to empower them to eliminate processes which create exclusion.
- Further investment in audio collections and large print stock has increased the accessibility of our services.
- Stock includes Large Print and audio collections, literacy collections and multi-media stock.
Accessible Software and Hardware:
Each branch library has a range of assistive equipment to assist in accessing services – Large Keyboards and Big Track Mice.
- Loughboy Library has 2 wheelchair accessible workstations.
- Loughboy, City, Castlecomer, Graiguenamanagh and Urlingford Libraries have touch screen monitors.
- Customer Care Kits are available in all branch libraries. - These contain a range of magnifiers, pen grips and signature templates.
All branches offer a range of assistive technologies -
Kurzweil Software – converts print to speech
Zoomtext Magnifier – enlarges print
JAWS software – provides speech output from the screen.
Browsealoud – reads web pages for those who find it difficult to read online.
Literacy Software is also available: Wordshark, Starspell and Read It!
Internet Access and PC Services:
- Internet and Computer services which includes free Internet access to members and access to Microsoft Office and computer tutorials.
Please click on link to download our accessibility library guide
Library Access Guide.pdf (size 356.8 KB)